Monday, June 29, 2009

The greatest performer of our lifetime



Remember when entertainers used to be famous because of their talent?

Despite all of the controversy that surrounded his life, he was the reason why I fell in love with music. I remember being about 7 years old, asking my mom and dad for a leather jacket in a 90 degree Miami summer just so I could put on my black loafers, my white socks, and practice my moonwalk in style. I watched Moonwalker at least 50 times and owned it on VHS. My mom had the chance to meet him and got me a personalized signed photo, which was my most treasured posession for a good part of my childhood. If you were a child of the 80's or early 90's, he was in your DNA, and there will never be another like him.

I don't pretend to understand what it is like to skip your childhood, or what the high price of infamy entails. Michael was a victim of both, it seems, and the ending was inevitable. I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank him for making my life that much more enjoyable.

One day, I'll be 80 years old on some comfy rocking chair, going back and forth as fast as I can, and Thriller will be blaring on repeat. If that is the day I die, I'll die a happy man.

-J

Check out an excellent tribute and remix album available here.

2 comments:

  1. Wanted to take a moment and let you know how much I appreciate the blog. You do a good job of covering contemporary culture through your specific lens. Keep up the good work.

    Max Gibson
    wineandbowties.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHAHA. I love ur About me!!!
    Aye! ur blog is fareal kewl!!
    its official im followin you now! SO FOLLOW ME!! FOLLOW ME!
    O YEA! wen u follow me expect to get weekly comments just kuz i want to interact with all of my followers! =D

    ReplyDelete